save-the-weekend, whydontcha?

I made these save-the-dates and I heart them.  Ready?  Let's go: I thrifted a couple of giant old atlas's at antique stores and cut liners for the envelopes out of them.  I ordered the stamps online--they were all vintage and there were a couple of different sets so not every envelope got the same stamps.  I liked that and think it added to the eclectic feel, even though no one else probably knew it.  I used a typewriter font to print the addresses when I  nearly dissolved in tears when I found out my actual typewriter couldn't hand the thickness of the envelopes.  (Hopefully Barack and Michelle are saving the weekend.)



While the idea isn't so new to the wedding word the idea for the text worked nicely.... "After four and a half years, a little of this and a lot of that, we are getting ourselves married."  I love infusing a couple's personality into it, I didn't have to choose between fonts so I went with it.  I drew all of the little graphics that accompanied the text.  I can only draw straight lines in my design programs so I freehanded them, traced them in sharpie, scanned them and then touched them up in Photoshop.  I do not pretend to be an actual graphic designer.  My favorite by far was little Walter's silhouette with his "W" dog tag.  Some rounded corners and it was done.






So, yes, they took forever to make.  The creative process was quite enjoyable for me even through all the mishaps (my typewriter wouldn't take the envelopes, the gocco wouldn't pick up the illustrations so I had to print them all, I had to iron 160 doilies and belly bands and I didn't think about the fact that the belly bands had to be exactly the perfect size before sewing up 30 or so of them). 

Yay love, indeed.

Posted in , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

3 Responses to save-the-weekend, whydontcha?

  1. You are just too darn cute and creative!!! Love it love it love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, these are fantastic. You're really outdoing yourself. I love the copy, and I love the theme! I can't wait to see how it all unfolds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a recipient, I'll admit that they are cool. So are these pics though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.